Palmdale Dog Bite Lawyer
Dog bites can result in not only severe physical pain but also significant emotional trauma. When you find yourself a victim of a dog bite, knowing your legal options is crucial to obtaining the care you need and compensation that makes up for the harm inflicted on you. Trevino Law Firm is an established Palmdale personal injury law firm that takes a compassionate and empathetic approach to resolving such cases. We understand that behind every case number is a person who deserves personalized attention, and we strive to make sure your needs are being met not just in the resolution of your claim but along the way as well. Contact our dedicated Palmdale dog bite lawyer today.
California Dog Bite Laws: What You Need to Know
In the state of California, dog owners are generally held responsible for injuries caused by their dogs, even if the dog has never bitten someone before or displayed aggressive behavior in the past. This makes California a “strict liability” state for dog bites. In California, even a dog’s first bite can result in the owner being held responsible for medical costs, lost wages, and emotional distress. However, there are exceptions such as trespassing or provocation which may absolve the dog owner from liability.
- Trespassing: A dog owner might not be liable if the victim was illegally trespassing at the time of the bite. California’s strict liability dog bite law applies to attacks that occur when the victim is in a public place or lawfully on private property, including the dog owner’s home or yard.
- Provocation: If the dog was provoked into biting, this fact could also relieve the owner of liability. Although provocation is often put forward as a valid defense, it can be difficult to prove in questionable cases or situations involving younger victims.
Why Choose Trevino Law Firm for Your Dog Bite Case?
- Compassionate Legal Help – Darlene Trevino, our lead attorney, embodies an empathetic and compassionate approach to every client’s situation. Unlike some large personal injury firms, we give undivided attention to each client. We take the time to listen and be responsive to client needs and concerns.
- Bilingual Staff – We serve both Spanish-speaking and English-speaking communities in Palmdale. Our fluency in Spanish and English ensures that we can communicate effectively and serve a broader client base. You can communicate with us in your preferred language, confident you are being heard and understood.
- Results-Driven Approach – Darlene works closely with opposing attorneys and insurance companies, focusing on resolving your case efficiently and obtaining the best possible outcome.
What to Do After a Dog Bite?
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention: Even a seemingly minor bite can lead to serious or fatal infections. Early treatment prevents the worst outcomes of an animal attack.
- Collect Evidence: Take photos of the injuries, the location, and if possible, the dog. Keep copies of medical reports and communications related to the incident.
- Report the Incident: Notify local authorities to document the case. California law mandates that all bites from animals susceptible to rabies (which includes dogs and other mammals) be reported to the local health officer.
- Consult an Attorney: Speak with a personal injury attorney to understand your rights and options. Talk to an attorney before you give any recorded statements to the insurance company or try to deal directly with the dog’s owner.
Contact Trevino Law Firm Today
If you or a loved one has suffered from a dog bite, securing legal representation from a reputable personal injury firm is essential for putting you on the road to recovery. At Trevino Law Firm, we treat you like a person, not a case number. Our team is dedicated to getting you the justice you deserve while making the legal process as smooth as possible. For personalized attention and a compassionate approach to your Palmdale dog bite case, contact Trevino Law Firm today by calling 661-526-5012 for a no-cost, confidential consultation.