Palmdale Drowsy Truck Driver Accident Lawyer
If you’ve ever taken a long car trip, you know how tiring it can be and how difficult it can be to stay awake and alert once fatigue sets in. Long-haul truck drivers deal with this issue every day. Accidents caused by drowsy truck drivers are a critical concern on our roads, posing serious risks to motorists, including severe or fatal injuries and significant property damage. Unfortunately for truck accident victims, these cases are complex and hard-fought, making it difficult to pursue a claim to a successful conclusion and recover the full amount of compensation due. If you or a loved one has been hurt in an Antelope Valley crash caused by a drowsy truck driver, Trevino Law Firm can help you hold the trucker and trucking company liable for the harm they have caused. Contact our experienced Palmdale drowsy truck driver accident lawyer today.
The Impact of Drowsy Truck Driving Accidents
Driver fatigue is a contributing factor in a significant number of truck accidents each year. According to the groundbreaking Large Truck Crash Causation Study conducted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), 13% of commercial vehicle crashes involved a truck driver who was fatigued at the time of the accident. Drowsy truck drivers have slower reaction times and impaired judgment, which can cause catastrophic accidents. These accidents often involve multiple vehicles and can result in life-altering injuries or even fatalities.
Hours of Service Regulations Meant to Avoid Drowsy Truck Driving
In an attempt to avoid drowsy driving truck crashes, the FMCSA has implemented regulations limiting the hours of service of tractor-trailer drivers. Unfortunately, the trucking industry lobby exerted its influence in the rulemaking process so that the resulting hours of service limits are quite generous to the trucking industry. Below is a summary of these regulations covering operators of 18-wheelers:
- Truckers can drive for 11 hours after ten consecutive hours off duty.
- Truck drivers can be on duty for up to 14 hours following ten consecutive hours off duty.
- Drivers can go for eight hours before having to take a 30-minute break.
- Truckers can put in 60 hours of driving over seven consecutive days or 70 hours over eight consecutive days before being required to take 34 hours off duty.
- Drivers can extend the 11-hour and 14-hour limits described above by up to two hours if they encounter “adverse driving conditions” along the way.
Despite the punishing hours these regulations allow, it’s a common practice for truck drivers to keep going past the legal limits. Some even falsify their driving logs to hide this fact from the authorities.
Why Choose Trevino Law Firm for Your Drowsy Truck Driver Accident Case?
We understand that every case is unique, and we pay a lot more attention to each client than big personal injury firms where you’re just a number on a case file. Here at Trevino Law Firm, you’re a person deserving of empathetic and expert legal guidance. Our firm is committed to providing personalized attention to each client.
When it comes to settling your claim, Darlene Trevino and her team have extensive experience negotiating with attorneys and insurance companies. Our goal is to resolve your case smoothly and get the best possible results for you.
Language should never be a barrier when seeking justice. Darlene and her staff are fluent in Spanish and English, making them well-suited to serve both the Spanish-speaking and English-speaking communities of Palmdale.
What to Do If You’re Involved in a Drowsy Truck Driver Accident
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health should be your first priority.
- Document the Scene: If possible, take photographs or videos that can serve as evidence to support your claim.
- Report the Incident: Notify law enforcement and file an official report.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Report the accident to your insurance provider but refrain from making any formal statements until you have legal representation.
- Consult with Trevino Law Firm: The sooner you get in touch with us, the sooner we can start building a strong case for you.
Contact Trevino Law Firm Today
If you’re seeking skilled and compassionate legal help following a drowsy truck driver accident in Palmdale, don’t hesitate to reach out to Trevino Law Firm. Call 661-526-5012 for a free consultation to discuss the specifics of your case and explore your legal options.