Palmdale Premises Liability Lawyer
At Trevino Law Firm, we understand the complexities that come with premises liability cases. Our Palmdale personal injury law firm, led by the skilled and dedicated attorney Darlene Trevino, is deeply committed to offering compassionate, detailed guidance for each client. We are proud of our reputation for treating you like a person, not a case file number. Whether you speak Spanish or English, you’ll find a welcoming team ready to assist you in your preferred language. Contact our experienced Palmdale premises liability lawyer today.
What Is Premises Liability?
Premises liability refers to the legal principle that property owners are responsible for accidents and injuries that occur on their premises due to some act of negligence on the part of the property owner. If you sustain an injury on someone else’s property due to the owner’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Property owners and their insurance companies don’t make this easy for you, however. Premises liability claims can be notoriously difficult to prove, and the insurance companies take full advantage of this fact to try and avoid liability or pay only a small amount to get rid of the claim. At Trevino Law firm, we know the law, and we take the time to thoroughly investigate the accident, gather evidence and build a strong case that proves the property owner’s liability to you. With the facts in hand, we’ll be ready to negotiate a fair settlement that fully compensates you for your injury.
Common Examples of Premises Liability Claims
Premises liability covers a wide range of legal claims. Below are some of the most common premises liability cases we deal with in our Palmdale personal injury law practice.
- Slip and Fall Accidents – The most common premises liability claim, these accidents occur due to hazards such as slippery or uneven surfaces, lack of signage, or poor lighting.
- Dog Bites – Dog owners can be held strictly liable if their pet injures a person while out in public or even while lawfully on the owner’s private property, regardless of whether the owner had any prior knowledge that the dog might be vicious or dangerous.
- Negligent Security – In situations where inadequate security leads to theft or assault, the property owner might be held accountable. These injuries most often occur in parking garages, stairwells, hotels, and apartment buildings where dangerous individuals take advantage of the building owner’s failure to provide or maintain adequate security.
- Swimming Pool Accidents – Poorly maintained or inadequately fenced swimming pools can result in drowning or other injuries. California’s Swimming Pool Safety Act requires adequate protections for pools and spas, such as fences, pool covers, exit alarms, self-closing and self-latching gates, and other means of protection. Pool owners can be liable for accidents to children and adults that occur due to their negligence in safeguarding their pools and spas.
Requirements for Proving a Premises Liability Claim in Palmdale
Successfully proving a premises liability claim may require establishing all the following elements of a negligence tort claim:
- Duty of Care – You must prove that the property owner had a “duty of care” toward you, meaning they were obligated to maintain a safe environment.
- Breach of Duty – Next, it must be shown that the property owner breached this duty by failing to uphold reasonable standards of safety.
- Causation – It should be clear that the breach of duty directly caused your injury. This aspect of the law has both legal and factual components and can be quite complex in some cases.
- Damages – Finally, you must present evidence of the injury sustained and any associated costs, such as medical bills or lost wages. An injury victim’s pain and suffering are compensable as well, and various approaches can be taken to arrive at an appropriate amount of compensation for damages like emotional distress or mental anguish.
Insurance Company Tactics to Watch Out for
Darlene Trevino and her team work diligently to resolve cases favorably and amicably with the attorneys on the other side of the case, but many times the insurance companies will use various schemes to try and avoid liability or minimize their payout. We are aware of these tactics and understand the proper legal strategies to deal with them appropriately.
- Downplaying the Severity of the Injury – Insurance companies may attempt to minimize the impact of your injuries to reduce the settlement amount.
- Shifting the Blame – By suggesting the accident was partly or wholly your fault, insurance companies aim to relieve the property owner of liability or lessen the amount they have to pay.
- Delay Tactics – Insurance firms may prolong the settlement process, hoping you’ll settle for less due to the pressing need for funds.
Contact Trevino Law Firm for Skilled and Compassionate Help With Your Palmdale Premises Liability Claim
Premises liability claims can be complex, but with personalized attention and an empathetic approach, Trevino Law Firm stands out as a reliable advocate for accident victims in Palmdale. Our Palmdale premises liability attorneys navigate these difficult cases to fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to discuss your case and take the first step toward justice. Call 661-526-5012 for a free consultation.