Palmdale Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer
When you’re involved in a car accident caused by a negligent driver, figuring out how to hold them accountable can be a daunting task. The situation becomes even more complex if the other driver involved is uninsured. At Trevino Law Firm, we understand the intricacies of California personal injury law and car accidents, including when it comes to car accidents caused by uninsured drivers. Attorney Darlene Trevino is dedicated to serving the Palmdale community through a compassionate and detail-oriented approach. Whether you’re a part of Palmdale’s English-speaking or Spanish-speaking community, we are here to guide you through this stressful period toward a successful resolution that provides the real help you need. Contact our experienced Palmdale uninsured motorist accident lawyer today.
What Happens in an Uninsured Motorist Car Accident?
All drivers in California are required by law to carry liability insurance. This coverage is used to pay for personal injury and property damage an insured causes in a car accident that is their fault because of the driver’s speeding, following too close, failing to signal, distracted driving, drunk driving, road rage, or other negligent or wrongful conduct. At a minimum, California requires drivers to carry insurance that covers $15,000 for bodily injury per person up to $30,000 per accident (if multiple people are injured) and $5,000 for property damage.
These minimum amounts are among the lowest in the country, but auto insurance premiums in California remain stubbornly high. Because of this and other factors, over 16% of California drivers don’t have insurance. That means of every ten cars you pass on the highway, between one and two of them aren’t carrying any insurance. These uninsured drivers might purchase insurance only long enough to renew their registration and then cancel it, and the only way they get caught is if they get pulled over for speeding or drunk driving or other moving violations, or if they get into a wreck.
So what happens when you get hit by an uninsured motorist? This is what Uninsured Motorist (UM) insurance coverage is for. If you are insured, then you carry UM coverage as part of your insurance package (unless you rejected it in writing, which we urge you not to do). With UM coverage, you can file a claim with your own insurance company if the at-fault driver is uninsured. However, dealing with insurance companies can be a maze of complexities, even when it’s your own insurer. Don’t make the mistake of thinking the insurance company is on your side and will gladly hand over the full amount of compensation you are entitled to. An experienced attorney from Trevino Law Firm can negotiate for you to ensure you get the fair compensation you deserve.
Steps to Take After an Uninsured Motorist Accident
- Contact Law Enforcement: Always call the police immediately after an accident, especially if the other driver is uninsured. This will generate a police report that documents the crash, which can be beneficial for your UM insurance claim.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you were not treated at the scene or taken to the hospital, get a medical evaluation to diagnose any potential injuries you might not be aware of. Some symptoms only manifest days or weeks after the crash. Getting checked out sooner will help identify any potentially dangerous conditions and also provide documentation linking your injuries to the accident for insurance purposes.
- Document Evidence of the Crash: Take photos of the scene, any injuries, and damages to both vehicles. Gather witness statements if possible.
- Notify Your Insurance: Inform your insurance company about the accident. They can guide you on how to file a claim for an accident involving an uninsured driver.
- Consult an Attorney: Before taking any legal steps, such as giving recorded statements or signing documents, consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to understand your rights and options and make sure you are taking the right steps to maximize your claim.
Why Choose Trevino Law Firm for Your Palmdale Uninsured Motorist Claim
Darlene Trevino and her team take an empathetic and compassionate approach to each case, something that sets us apart from larger firms. We work diligently to understand each client’s individual needs and fight for their rights in court or at the negotiation table. Our bilingual staff can effectively communicate with both the English-speaking and Spanish-speaking communities of Palmdale, ensuring that you are understood and well-represented.
Contact Trevino Law Firm Today
For personalized legal advice tailored to your situation, contact Trevino Law Firm today. We’re committed to helping you navigate the complex landscape of uninsured motorist car accidents and getting you the compensation you deserve.